As we begin to venture out again we would like to get together with our families, friends, colleagues and other interested people for a Hawaiian box lunch and discussion on two timely topics relevant to our Asian community on Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 11:30 AM at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA 22066.
Our guest speakers will be:
- David Inoue, Executive Director of the Japanese American Citizens League, will speak on the topic of the Asian Hate Crimes Law that was recently signed to address the increased violence against Asian Americans, what it means, and how it affects us.
- Katie Defoe, Crime Prevention Specialist with the Fairfax County Police Department, will give tips on how Asian Americans can best protect themselves from both verbal and physical attacks when out in public settings. Many in our minority community (especially the elderly) are fearful nowadays to step outside their homes for fear of attacks.
Lunch will be ordered from Abunai, a modern Hawaiian poke shop located in the District. Choose from the following options (prices include taxes and gratuities):
- Kahlua Pig and Cabbage Plate Lunch (braised shredded pork shoulder, red cabbage, onion and scallions), macaroni salad, and mixed green salad = $16.00
- Shoyu Chicken Plate Lunch (chicken marinated in soy ginger garlic sauce with scallions), macaroni salad and mixed green salad = $16.00
- Roasted Chicken Salad (roasted organic chicken breast with roasted peanuts, carrots, edamame, scallions, won ton chips, pineapple vinaigrette, over brown rice and mixed greens) = $16.00
- Shrimp Poke Bowl (shrimp, scallions, cilantro, cucumbers, wasabi aioli, lemon zest and avocado over sushi rice and mixed greens) = $16.50
Our luncheon meeting will be held in the meeting room of the library which can accommodate 100, and will allow for social distancing for anyone who may be uncomfortable meeting indoors. If you can’t make lunch, come at 1:00 PM to hear the guest speakers.
To place your lunch order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by July 18. You will receive directions on where to mail your check and your order will be placed.